· Area of study: Proyectual procedures, analysis, building, city
· Beginning and ending date: 30th july until 23 th novembre
· Number of students: 41
· Schedule: Monday and Friday: 9:00-13:00
· Credits: 6
· Teaching team: Leonardo Álvarez y Fernando Arias
· Teacher assistants: Carlos Buriticá y Cindy Jiménez.
Cluster: Colombia- Spain- Sweden
The basic premises of the Research Design and Architecture Group are:
1. The review of the activities of analysis and creation of architectural passes understanding them as a sequence, a chain of complementary and diachronic instances, not causal.
2. Examples are analyzed (paradigmatic), they have solved the problem architectural prescribed to decompose into elements, parts and determine their relations, while projecting.
3. The architectural design is a unity between research and the design, always partial and never definitive entirely synthetic. With the project activity will investigate problems and questions of design.
The chained sequences of activities proposed are:
1. The definition of a subject through which to build a project idea. As defined that the subject is a public building, we characterized the following issues: the limit, the promenade architectural, the city as a project and complexity program.
2. The idea, in concept, design and development, says in a formal characterization of these aspects.
3. Is chosen to appropriation and “fiddling” with the idea, an existing building (considered monument).
4. It re-examines the effect created by the “fiddling” desecrating the paradigm chosen by identifying, among others, the following components: architectural form, topic and activity; structural subsystems, the environment, and procedures (sternotomy and tectonics, and collage).
This corresponds to a complementary analytical activity: the composition or actually recomposition, i.e. rearrangement of the same elements with respect to the singularity, either the activity or the site. The reorganization or restructuring of the project adds some complexity. For example, the anticipation of the effect of the project in one place or another of the city. Is sited several options regarding various aspects of the project such as the nature of the intimate, public urban facilities of a cultural or recreational, commerce, etc.
These relationships, in turn, will mean a need to rethink, in all cases, the way the architecture, the precise objective incorporates creative alternatives to the conventional relationship between public and private, and the solution of this limit. So this variety could correspond to different formal structures.
Objectives of the local design studio
Therefore, the overall objective is to understand by project activity.
Methodology and relation with ADU partners
The first part of the workshop is devoted to examining the relationship between architectural and housing activity. This test starts from the analysis, the tool to understand and explain paradigmatic projects to study its shape. Subsequently, the analysis points out the relationship between form and activity, which passes through the identification of the following components: formal structure, i.e. determining the relationships between elements (synonym: type), and structural subsystems.
The second part of the exercise develops architectural composition exercises involving the concept of collective facilities (powered by the previous analysis). The equipment will be used to reflect on the relationship between activity, form and city (place). Expected proposals and alternatives to raise the question of the relationship between the public and the urban, and propose solutions to the limit. The result should be an architectural unit comprising the activities use. So expect the demonstration project as a whole that accommodates different formal structures, particularly those studied in the analysis.
The third part is started from the hypothesis according to which the place is the result of the placement of a building on a site. In this case the city is transformed from the architecture. This means that the site was founded in response to the relationships between an architectural idea and site condition (no architecture) which are arranged on or interact with the different formal structures. Again the analysis is the basis for understanding urban conditions appropriate to provide projects: for example the boundaries between different urban structures that make up an urban, or between urban and rural, or points of conflict between tissues neighborhoods are appropriate scenarios to place these buildings. The final architectural development project involves the solution in terms of the different functional activities, the development of different scales, and the solution to a technical problem and structural.